Re: KVM w/ network support under normal user.

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 08:58:49AM +0000, Chris Davies wrote:
> Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How I can run KVM w/ network support under normal user?
>
> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networking

This page is very good, but the instructions under "public
bridge" are not applicable to Debian.

I have a public bridge setup on Debian for KVM VMs. I have
network access via Ethernet, using interface 'eth0'. I have
the following /etc/network/interfaces:

<begin>
iface eth0 inet manual

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
   pre-up /usr/sbin/tunctl -u jon -t tap0
   pre-up ifconfig tap0 up
   bridge_ports all tap0
   post-down ifconfig tap0 down
   post-down tunctl -d tap0
<end>

"tunctl" is in the 'uml-utilities' package. You will also
need the 'bridge-utils' package.

In this case, I run my VM as the user 'jon'. This is
reflected in the '-u jon' argument to tunctl.

Once you've restarted networking, you should then use
arguments such as the following to kvm:

    -net nic -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no

I prefer this method to specifying a script argument, and
having to give priviledges to that.

--
Jon Dowland