Re: X Windows not installed

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 16:58:14 +0800, Dr Bean wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
>
> > Le dimanche 25 juin 2006 ? 09:28 +0800, Dr Bean a ?crit :

> > > Where would I get that. dmesg says just:
> > > Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
>
> > The sources of information for that would be:
> ..
> >  - lspci;
> ..
>
> lspci says:
>
> 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated
> Systems [SiS] 86C326 5598/6326 (rev d2)
>
> I now remember however, the X error message I got when I was
> trying to start X. It was not a video error. It was a mouse
> error, no pointer device found.
>
> When I was installing, I was asked some questions about the
> mouse, eg was it a serial port or PS/2, and then given a choice
> of files. I chose the default, /dev/input/mice.
>
> The last time I tried installing I didn't see these questions.
> Instead, I was asked to move the mouse around so the installer
> could determine the type.

Make sure you have the packages "discover1" (for 2.6 kernels) or
"discover" (for 2.4 kernels) installed, as well as "xresprobe",
"mdetect", "read-edid" and, if applicable, "laptop-detect".

Then run (as root)

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and you should get a proper configuration. If the mouse still fails you
can run (again as root)

mdetect -x

to see which settings are correct.

Your graphics card should be supported by the "sis" driver and the
configuration dialog should allow you to select the appropriate
resolution(s).

--
Regards,
          Florian