Re: X Windows not installed

Le jeudi 22 juin 2006 à 20:03 +0800, Dr Bean a écrit :
> I don't think I have X Windows installed. How do I now install
> it?
[...]
> I have now a perfectly good console-based linux system, but exec
> startx doesn't give me X Windows.

But you do have startx? Do you get a "command not found" error, or a
hole bunch of lines? If it's the latter, then X is there but not
configured properly. Please post the error message you get when issuing
startx. Also give some details about your system (video hardware).

> I used apt-get to install
> gnome, which may explain a few X11 libs I have and some X docs in
> /usr/share. [...]

If you installed gnome, then I'd say it's impossible you didn't install
X as well.

Thibaut.