Re: X Windows not installed

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Thibaut Paumard wrote:

> Le dimanche 25 juin 2006 ? 09:28 +0800, Dr Bean a ?crit :

> > > Also give some details about your system (video hardware).

> > Where would I get that. dmesg says just:
> > Console: colour VGA+ 80x25

> The sources of information for that would be:
..
>  - lspci;
..

lspci says:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated
Systems [SiS] 86C326 5598/6326 (rev d2)

I now remember however, the X error message I got when I was
trying to start X. It was not a video error. It was a mouse
error, no pointer device found.

When I was installing, I was asked some questions about the
mouse, eg was it a serial port or PS/2, and then given a choice
of files. I chose the default, /dev/input/mice.

The last time I tried installing I didn't see these questions.
Instead, I was asked to move the mouse around so the installer
could determine the type.

--
Dr Bean                          Success is going from failure
                                 to failure without a loss of