Re: Kernel Panic After Sarge Dist-upgrade To Kernel Image 2.4.27-2-386

Debian User Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> The 2.4.27-2-386 kernel was forced on me by the dist-upgrade.  I planned
> on going to the 2.6.6-2-686 kernel and will eventually, probably
> soon.  Kent
> finally fixed lilo for me so that sarge boots now if you haven't
> already read it.
> You can, if you will, tell me just how you remove a kernel(outline the
> process).
> I'm thinking there might be more to it than just aptitude remove(or
> purge) the KI.
> Once I'm sure, I'll get rid of the 2.4.27* and go to a 2.6.8* KI.

I think kernels are treated a bit differently than are other packages,
in that once installed, there's not an automatic removal mechanism.

Basically when a new Debian kernel is installed via apt[-get|itude]:

* the kernel itself is placed in /boot
* A copy of the corresponding .config file in placed in /boot
* the old symbolic links in / are renamed to "OLD"-type names. This
woulb be /vmlinuz and /initrd.img.
* new symbolic links are created in /. The symlink "/vmlinuz" points to
the new kernel in /boot; the symlink "/initrd.img" points to the
initrd.img in /boot.
* the stanzas in /etc/lilo.conf are updated appropriately, and lilo is run
* the appropriate modules are placed in /lib/modules
* other housekeeping
* you're told to reboot into the new kernel

To uninstall a Debian kernel, you basically undo the above manually. Or
at least that's been my experience. Unless you need the space on / that
deleting /lib/modules/[kernel_version] would free up, I'd just leave the
old kernel on there.

To install a new Debian kernel, find the version you want:
"aptitude search kernel-image-2.6 | grep 686"
should list the Pentium-type 2.6 kernels available.

Then install that kernel:
aptitude install kernel-image-2.6.11-1-686

The problems you had the first go-round was because you went from a
non-initrd kernel to an initrd kernel, and you renamed the label in
lilo.conf. Since you're already running an initrd kernel now, the
upgrade process should go much smoother.

> Now on to my next
> issues, getting pon and wvdial to work under sarge.  Kill one, two
> more pop up.

These should be addressed in a new thread.

> Also, about activating the lilo menu, How?

I believe you need to uncomment the "prompt" entry in lilo.conf
(remember to rerun lilo).

> Thanks for your insight on compiling your own; I'll give it a try soon,

It would be a good education for you, but nowadays, rolling your own is
not much necessary for most users. I recommend it for educational
purposes (really, I do), but the stock Debian kernels will probably
fulfill all your needs for a quite a while.

--
Kent