Re: Kernel Panic After Sarge Dist-upgrade To Kernel Image 2.4.27-2-386

Marty wrote:

Debian User Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

The output of cat /etc/fstab, cfdisk and lilo.conf are shown at the end
of this message.

Hi Leonard,

I looked over your files.  First did you verify the links /vmlinuz
and /vmlinuz.old?  Second, what happens when you boot using LinuxOLD?
(Lacking an enabled prompt option, you might have hit the Tab key to
bring up the boot menu.)

See below for links.  Not sure what you mean by what happens when you boot
using LinuxOLD. It boots normally as it did since first installed. I do see that Output module failed to load as was the case on my old sarge. If your refering to my notes about not having a graphical lilo interface on the install= and map= notes then yes, I do have to hit scroll lock or tab repeatedly for the old red orange boot menu to come up. That's the only way I can boot woody without a rescue disk. If that doesn't answer your question, I'd be more than happy to supply any specifics.

The reason I ask is that I noticed your old kernel didn't use initrd.
If the old kernel still works then you know that at very least, you have
the option of compiling in all your drivers and getting rid of initrd
(which seems to be causing problems for lots of people lately).

Yes, I agree, lots of people are have problem getting sarge to boot.

Perhaps they didn't read the release notes, like me. But that wont ever happen again.

I plan to someday compile my own kernel just to see if I can do it. I'm still trying to get a stable system for the last six months that I've been using Debian. If that ever happens then I'll be ready to try. Out of 3 or 4 sarge installs, only the last one via testing worked out of the box and booted normally. The first install never did boot and eventually woody got corrupted and I started all over again with a fresh install. Thanks for picking up the thread. So far it looks
like there's not going to be a simple or quick solution.

The output you requested: If this not what you want, let me know.

ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# ls -l /vmlinuz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jun 23 03:08 /vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-386
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# ls -l /vmlinuz.old
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jun 10 03:16 /vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#