Re: Kernel Panic After Sarge Dist-upgrade To Kernel Image 2.4.27-2-386

Marty wrote:

Debian User Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

See below for links. Not sure what you mean by what happens when you boot using LinuxOLD. It boots normally as it did since first installed. I do see that Output module failed to load as was the case on my old sarge. If your refering to my notes about not having a graphical lilo interface on the install= and map= notes then yes, I do have to hit scroll lock or tab repeatedly for the old red orange boot menu to come up. That's the only way I can boot woody without a rescue disk.

OIC  So that's what you mean by "booting woody"!  <slaps forehead>

I thought you had another partition with woody installed.  For the record
the kernel does not determine which distro you are booting so it's probably inaccurate to say you are "booting to woody" in this context. It might be
better understood if you say you are booting an alternate kernel or
something similar.

Anyway this puts an entirely different spin on the matter.  First of
all you can just remove the non-functional kernel, and make your
old kernel the default kernel by specifying it in /etc/lilo.conf and
rerunning lilo.  (You can also activate the boot menu.)

Note that since both of your kernels are obsolete anyway it doesn't
matter which one you choose so you might as well pick the one that works.

If you want to practice installing or compiling kernels you can
either start afresh with sarge's default 2.6.8 or roll your
own custom kernel.  I recommend the latter since Debian has all the
tools to make this as simple and painless as possible, and you
can get rid of modules and all the initrd problems altogether.
These both seem to be the biggest minefield for the newbies.

Hello again Marty,
The 2.4.27-2-386 kernel was forced on me by the dist-upgrade.  I planned
on going to the 2.6.6-2-686 kernel and will eventually, probably soon.  Kent
finally fixed lilo for me so that sarge boots now if you haven't already read it. You can, if you will, tell me just how you remove a kernel(outline the process). I'm thinking there might be more to it than just aptitude remove(or purge) the KI. Once I'm sure, I'll get rid of the 2.4.27* and go to a 2.6.8* KI. Now on to my next issues, getting pon and wvdial to work under sarge. Kill one, two more pop up. Also, about activating the lilo menu, How? If your using the graphical menu and are not having to punch a key to get it, would be nice for me to see what's in your install= and map= stanzas. I have read them man docs and tried several things
but nothing works for me.
Thanks for your insight on compiling your own; I'll give it a try soon,

Leonard