Re: nvidia not working after dist-upgrade. [WAS: Re: Help, X won't start after repartiotion of hdb]

> nvidia-kernel-2.4.27-1-386:
>   Installed: 1.0.6111-1+2.4.27-6
>   Candidate: 1.0.6111-1+2.4.27-6
>   Version Table:
>  *** 1.0.6111-1+2.4.27-6 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> nvidia-glx:
>   Installed: 1.0.7174-3
>   Candidate: 1.0.7174-3
>   Version Table:
>  *** 1.0.7174-3 0
>         500 http://http.us.debian.org testing/non-free Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

There's your trouble: you have different versions of the nvidia kernel
module and GLX libraries installed.  More recent versions of nvidia-
kernel-2.4.27-1-386 are available prebuilt for your kernel, by adding

deb http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia modules-unstable/i386/

to your /etc/apt/preferences, then running apt-get update.  However,
this won't solve your problem, because the latest version I see by that
method is 1.0.6629, which still doesn't catch up to your nvidia-glx
version 1.0.7174.  And unfortunately, versions of nvidia-glx earlier
than 1.0.7174 have disappeared from the Debian archives, although you
might find one cached on your host in /var/cache/apt/archive.

I think the best solution for you is going to be to bite the bullet and
either upgrade to a newer stock kernel, which has current versions of
nvidia-kernel built for it; or else build yourself a custom nvidia
kernel module package to go with your current kernel.  For details, see
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nvidia/index.html.

Good luck,
Andrew.