Re: backup web server - sync

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Kevin Coyner wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 05:47:10PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote......
>
> > you will also need to pull down your new database entries in SFO/SJ
> > boxes back inside ... ( it's good and bad to pull "insecure" data from
> > outside to inside, but on the other hand, you dont want your outside
> > browers to have access to inside DB either )
>

> So let's say both boxes are up and serving web pages.  And part of that
> includes a mysql DB where websurfers can input their names/email
> addresses.

trivial .. sorta ..

at the time they register or add/delete/change their info in the db,
you automtically update the other server too and record tehir activities
in case of some script telling it to erase its db entries
	- your script will act like a user entering data

	- you can also tell new entry changes that it will take
	5min or 5 hrs for changes to be propagated later, when you
	lock it down and move changes around to all the db copies
	and than let it get back to normal mode

you probably do NOT want to sync the db after its been modified
to the other server

it's where "some forethought" comes in .. vs slapp it together :-0
amd restricting things so that it doesnt break under real use

c ya
alvin