Re: What's wrong with debian?

The topic of this thread is "What's wrong with Debian?"
My answer is _nothing_. It has a social policy, which
I like, that is I like an organization that _has_ a
policy. I also happen to like the particular policy that
it has. But even better than having a policy that I like
is the fact that there is no guessing as to what that
policy is.

Concerning release 'schedules':
Schedules are one of the great lies of software development.
Software construction is _not_ like building a house.
Each house that is built (in the civilized world) is built
according to a collection of rules in the building code.
With experience, one can estimate quite reliably how long
construction will take. Such rules and experience are not
of much value in software. (flame bait, but I can defend
this statement). Elsewhere in this thread were complaints
about upstream not sticking to schedules, but they also
are doing real software and trying (most of them) to get
it right, not just 'out the door'

So I repeat, my answer to the question in the subject
line is "Nothing."

Let the flames roar in!

--
Paul E Condon