Re: usb camera / filesystem question

Christian Convey <cconvey@cox.net> wrote:

|> I'm curious about the way a USB camera gets set up when plugged into
|> a Sarge / 2.6.9 system. I'm also using 'udev'. Anyone know the
|> following?
|>
|> When I plug in the camera, I assume there are three devices that must
|> be created in the /dev directory, no?

To use a Sony digital camera with my Debian laptop, all I had to do was
to include this line in /etc/udev/udev.rules:

   BUS="scsi", SYSFS_vendor="Sony    ", NAME="camera"

This has the effect that when hotplug detects insertion of the camera's
connector into a USB port, udev creates the device node /dev/camera.

In /etc/fstab I have a line:

   /dev/camera  /mnt/camera     vfat    rw,user,noauto  0   0

so that when the camera is plugged in, I can:

   mount /mnt/camera

and then view the .jpegs on the camera's file-system or copy them over
to the hard disk or whatever.

Aa far as I know, that is all that is required, and this simple setup
works very well for me,

Jim