Re: usb camera / filesystem question

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 14:52 -0800, Jim McCloskey wrote:
> Christian Convey <cconvey@cox.net> wrote:
>
> |> I'm curious about the way a USB camera gets set up when plugged into
> |> a Sarge / 2.6.9 system. I'm also using 'udev'. Anyone know the
> |> following?
> |>
> |> When I plug in the camera, I assume there are three devices that must
> |> be created in the /dev directory, no?
>
> To use a Sony digital camera with my Debian laptop, all I had to do was
> to include this line in /etc/udev/udev.rules:
>
>    BUS="scsi", SYSFS_vendor="Sony    ", NAME="camera"

If you ever get another hot-pluggable Sony device, your rule
will fail.  Better to be a bit more specific, like using the
model number.

> This has the effect that when hotplug detects insertion of the camera's
> connector into a USB port, udev creates the device node /dev/camera.
>
> In /etc/fstab I have a line:
>
>    /dev/camera  /mnt/camera     vfat    rw,user,noauto  0   0
>
> so that when the camera is plugged in, I can:
>
>    mount /mnt/camera
>
> and then view the .jpegs on the camera's file-system or copy them over
> to the hard disk or whatever.
>
> Aa far as I know, that is all that is required, and this simple setup
> works very well for me,

KDE and Nautilus will automagically put relevant icons on the
desktop for you.  Of course, a script that moves all images to
the proper subdirectory doesn't need icons...

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Peace is normally a great good, and normally it coincides with
righteousness, but it is righteousness and not peace which should
bind the conscience of a nation as it should bind the conscience
of an individual; and neither a nation nor an individual can
surrender conscience to another's keeping."
Theodore Roosevelt