Re: usb camera / filesystem question

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 21:35 -0500, Christian Convey wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm curious about the way a USB camera gets set up when plugged into a
> Sarge / 2.6.9 system. I'm also using 'udev'. Anyone know the following?
>
> When I plug in the camera, I assume there are three devices that must be
> created in the /dev directory, no?
>
> #1 : a device for the camera's plain old USB interface (i.e., ttyUSB1)
> #2 : a device for the camera as a usb mass storage device (i.e., sda)
> #3 : a device for the partition on that storage device (i.e., sda1)
>
> Can anyone tell me which pieces of software are responsible for setting
> up each of those devics?

udev.

$ apt-cache show udev
[snip]
 udev is a program which dynamically creates and removes device
 nodes from
 /dev/. It responds to /sbin/hotplug device events and requires a
 2.6 kernel.

apt-cache is your friend/

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Why do we have to hide from the police, Daddy?"
"Because we use vi, son. They use emacs."