Re: What determines which /dev/sd* a USB device becomes?

Andrew Perrin wrote:

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, John Summerfield wrote:

Please don't damn me with dupllicates.

Sorry.

And it's a matter about which I remain sceptical. I've not yet seen
evidence that the eject command helps, and I don't see why it should.

It helps on my home machine, but not on my office machine. Evidence.

Good. Now if you report the bug, then perhaps the developer can work on getting it fixed. For sure, if nobody reports the problem it will take a long time to get fixed.

More, I could contend that if it's needed for some hardware and not
other, then there's a bug loitering somewhere because the software layer
should provide a consistent user interface.

A linux _user_ (as apposed to an _administrator_) shouldn't have to be
concerned with whether the CD burner is SCSI or ATA,the CPU is IA32 or
Ultrasparc, whether the printer is connected with USB, parallel or
bluetooth. Those are administrative (and maybe purchasing) trivia.

Knowing to plug USB devices into a USB port, firewire into firewire is
enough. Everything else should just happen.

True, but irrelevant - the question was how to do it, not how should it
work.

and when it's fixed, then it will work the way it should, and people like Adam can get on with enjoying the use of their computers.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait