Re: What determines which /dev/sd* a USB device becomes?

Please don't damn me with dupllicates.

I believe that issuing an "eject /dev/sda" before removing it will release
sda from the pool, thereby making it available the next time the device is
plugged in.

_I_ do not need to do that.  I _have_ alternated between my camera and
my USB2 laptop drive.

Yes, so you've said before, and very adamantly. But there are wide
variations in hardware and software configurations -- the OP has a problem
you don't have. Presumably, a solution offered him won't solve  a problem
you don't have.

And it's a matter about which I remain sceptical. I've not yet seen evidence that the eject command helps, and I don't see why it should.

More, I could contend that if it's needed for some hardware and not other, then there's a bug loitering somewhere because the software layer should provide a consistent user interface.

A linux _user_ (as apposed to an _administrator_) shouldn't have to be concerned with whether the CD burner is SCSI or ATA,the CPU is IA32 or Ultrasparc, whether the printer is connected with USB, parallel or bluetooth. Those are administrative (and maybe purchasing) trivia.

Knowing to plug USB devices into a USB port, firewire into firewire is enough. Everything else should just happen.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait