Re: What determines which /dev/sd* a USB device becomes?

Andrew Perrin wrote:

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Adam Funk wrote:

I unplugged my USB SmartMedia card reader and plugged in a different
brand of the same thing.  It now shows up as /dev/sdb (and /dev/sdb1)
but /dev/sda is still present (although useless).  This is a minor
nuisance as I had to change /etc/fstab so I could mount it as a normal
user.  What causes this and is there any way to control it?

I believe that issuing an "eject /dev/sda" before removing it will release
sda from the pool, thereby making it available the next time the device is
plugged in.

_I_ do not need to do that. I _have_ alternated between my camera and my USB2 laptop drive.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait