Re: Would Knoppix enable access to router?

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2004, Antony Gelberg wrote:
>>
>> You're right that the Knoppix CD is useful.  But I don't see why it
>> would make it easier to connect to your router, unless your network
>> card drivers are very new and are not included in the Woody bf24
>> kernel.  DHCP client setup is trivial on either.
>>
>> Put another way, I think you might be barking up the wrong tree.

> I certainly haven't found it to be trivial. After long fiddling with
> /etc/dhcpd.conf, which kept producing errors of the form "No subnet
> declaration for eth0" and the like, I eventually reached the stage
> where
> it says:
>
> dhcpd: socket: Protocol not available - make sure CONFIG_PACKET and
> CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel configuration!
>
> As they are already configured I can see no way to get beyond this.
>
> I'll willingly admit I don't understand the network terminology very
> well but it certainly is not trivial to get the system to allow access
> to 192.168.0.1, which is currently my goal in life.

But then there is no need to even set up a DHCP server, and hence no need to
edit /etc/dhcpd.conf, or even have any dhcpd packages installed.  A DHCP
server allocates IP addresses.  Your router probably has one built in.  You
want to configure your workstation as a DHCP _client_, to let it receive an
IP address from the DHCP server (the router).  man interfaces should be of
use.

Alternatively, if you are sure that the router is 192.168.0.1, you can
configure your workstation with an unused static IP address on the same
subnet, and forget all about DHCP.

As you admit to not knowing the network stuff very well, it might be useful
to read up on it so that you understand what is going on when you dive in,
and save much hassle in the long run.  :)