Re: Would Knoppix enable access to router?

On 19 Jan 2004, Antony Gelberg wrote:

> You're right that the Knoppix CD is useful.  But I don't see why it would
> make it easier to connect to your router, unless your network card drivers
> are very new and are not included in the Woody bf24 kernel.  DHCP client
> setup is trivial on either.
>
> Put another way, I think you might be barking up the wrong tree.

I certainly haven't found it to be trivial. After long fiddling with
/etc/dhcpd.conf, which kept producing errors of the form "No subnet
declaration for eth0" and the like, I eventually reached the stage where
it says:

dhcpd: socket: Protocol not available - make sure CONFIG_PACKET and
CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel configuration!

As they are already configured I can see no way to get beyond this.

I'll willingly admit I don't understand the network terminology very
well but it certainly is not trivial to get the system to allow access
to 192.168.0.1, which is currently my goal in life.

A.

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic