Re: Would Knoppix enable access to router?

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2004, Jacob S. wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:49:01 +0000
>> Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> After several days' work I'm still unable to connect to the setup
>>> web page for my router. This may be because I need dhcp but I have
>>> had no luck with this at all.
>>>
>>> Is it likely that Knoppix would allow this to work fairly
>>> painlessly?
>>
>> If it's really only a dhcp problem, most likely it would. On my dhcp
>> enabled network I've never seen the Knoppix cd fail to successfully
>> get an ip from the server and be ready for play. (Assuming it's able
>> to recognize your network card, of course.)
>>
>> Oh, and my dhcp server is running Debian Woody, but I don't think
>> that should matter.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Jacob
>>
>> -----
>> GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135
>>
>> Microsoft gives you Windows... Linux gives you the whole house.
>
> Thanks for the quick response. I don't think the card should be a
> problem since that is what is connecting me now to my ADSL modem. It
> certainly seems worth a try so I've ordered the CD (should  be useful
> anyway and it's not expensive).

You're right that the Knoppix CD is useful.  But I don't see why it would
make it easier to connect to your router, unless your network card drivers
are very new and are not included in the Woody bf24 kernel.  DHCP client
setup is trivial on either.

Put another way, I think you might be barking up the wrong tree.