Re: Documentation and Usability

On 2004-01-17, Mac McCaskie penned:

> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
>> On 2004-01-17, Mac McCaskie penned:
>>
>>>I think my point would be closer to not allowing a package on-board
>>>without adaqate instruction on what it was and how to use it.
>>>
>>>Where is the value of providing a widget to a customer without giving
>>>them a clue as to what the widget is or what to do with it.
>>>

>> That word "customer"; doesn't it imply that you paid for the product?
>>
>> Anyhoo, your definition of adequate might be quite different from
>> another user's definition.
>>
>> If there's a package that will solve a problem for me, I would rather
>> have it available without any documentation at all than have it
>> completely unavailable due to lack of documentation.
>
> -No
> -Very true, what is your target?  Very experianced users with prior
> knowledge or ?

My target, or debian's target?  The general belief on this mailing list
is that debian is most appropriate for people who've had some linux
administration experience in the past, though the developers are
constantly at work making things easier.

> -The third part puzzles me.  How would you know how to use it without
> some type of instructions.

Just because the debian package doesn't include instruction doesn't mean
that instruction isn't available.  Maybe I searched on the right terms
in google.  Maybe a friend of mine has installed it before.  Maybe the
source is instruction enough.

> Mac <causing consternation> McCaskie

You're giving yourself too much credit.

--