Re: Documentation and Usability

Micha Feigin wrote:

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 05:02:59PM -0600, Mac McCaskie wrote:
-The third part puzzles me. How would you know how to use it without some type of instructions.

google et al, home page, man, info, <program> -h/--help, source code
(hopefully commented), trial and error, mailing lists, help menu,
/usr/share/doc/<package>, /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/

I'm at a loss on how to approach this. I guess I was not clear in my statement. If I could find the instructions, then that means instructions exist. Then that particular package would not apply to my argument.

If that were the case for any and all packages where the man page say's "Foo is Foo-like because it derived from Foo's Parent" (or some such jibberish), then no package falls into this catagory and my point is point-less. Originally I did mean put real instructions in man. Mostly because I had done the Google thing but only found pages that did not apply or were for different implementations.

The obvious solution to this quandry, would be to put the URL in the man page if the page applied to that implementation. Shouldn't that be easy to do? (but it does leave out those poor unfortunates that do not have internet access for whatever reason, say power loss, stupid security features, too broke, etc. I love the Road Runner help desk when I can't connect, they tell me to access the web site if I need help!)