Re: Documentation and Usability

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 05:02:59PM -0600, Mac McCaskie wrote:

> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
> >On 2004-01-17, Mac McCaskie penned:
> >
> >>I think my point would be closer to not allowing a package on-board
> >>without adaqate instruction on what it was and how to use it.
> >>
> >>Where is the value of providing a widget to a customer without giving
> >>them a clue as to what the widget is or what to do with it.
> >>

> >That word "customer"; doesn't it imply that you paid for the product?
> >
> >Anyhoo, your definition of adequate might be quite different from
> >another user's definition.
> >
> >If there's a package that will solve a problem for me, I would rather
> >have it available without any documentation at all than have it
> >completely unavailable due to lack of documentation.
>
> -No
> -Very true, what is your target?  Very experianced users with prior
> knowledge or ?
> -The third part puzzles me.  How would you know how to use it without
> some type of instructions.

google et al, home page, man, info, <program> -h/--help, source code
(hopefully commented), trial and error, mailing lists, help menu,
/usr/share/doc/<package>, /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/

Just to name a few ways to find usage information, and there is usually
more then one way to spear a fish.

Sometimes a package comes as a dependency and you don't need to know
how to use it for it to be useful.