Re: Guide to building a custom kernel

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 10:32, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:
> Joris Huizer wrote:
> <!-- snip -->
>
> "--revision" affects the name of the Debian package itself but not the
> kernel name, so "uname -r" won't show the revision, and it will use the
> same modules as other revisions of the same version.
>
> "--append-to-version=bla" affects the name of the Debian package itself
> _and_ the kernel name, so "uname -r" will show up as 2.4.18.bla, and
> this kernel will have its own set of modules, separate from the default
> kernel 2.4.18.
>
> The latter might be useful if you want to try out some beta version of a
> kernel module, with an easy way to reboot back to the old version if it
> hangs your system. Maybe someone else could give another example?

--revision just gives your kernel a more descriptive name.

--append-to-version appends the append-to-version text to the kernel
name AND to the modules directory name when dpkg installs the kernel.

This way, you can keep a 1:1 relationship between kernels and their
associated modules directories.  For people who know what they are
doing, this isn't a big deal, because they are likely to understand
what's going on.

For beginners, though, "wasting" the space on the duplicate modules is a
good investment, in my opinion.  I always compile with BOTH --revision
and --append-to-version . . . .

madmac