Trying to connect a digital cam to my PC

Hi there,

I just bought an Olympus D520Z digital cam, and of course, it doesn't
come with anything Linux-related. To transfer pictures from the cam to
my PC I'd have to use Windows, which I'd like to avoid as much as
possible.

Since in Windows my camera appears as a removable drive, I figured that
I'd have to compile the usb-storage.o (USB mass storage device) module
to get it working in linux, but as soon as I modprobe the module, it
just hangs; the system is still responsive everywhere else, I just lose
the console where I typed modprobe. All other USB-related modules are
prealably loaded since my keyboard and mouse are USB-connected.

Is there something I miss or what ? Is there anybody else that uses that
camera on linux ?

kernel is : 2.4.20

Thanks in advance.

Jeff