Re: where is the us-ascii charset and how do I get mutt to use it?

It's not Asian characters ... the text inbetween =?US-ASCII?Q? and ?= is
completely readable.  In fact, it's sent from a firewall (SonicWall).

How does one find out whether charsets are working correctly?  I do have
files in  /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/. I think that's the right place ...

Also, someone on the mutt list suggested adding this to .muttrc:

charset-hook windows-1250 CP1250
charset-hook windows-1251 CP1251
charset-hook US-ASCII     CP1251
charset-hook ISO-8859-1     CP1251

set charset=windows-1251

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me, although CP1251.gz is present in
/usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.  So maybe the problem is with my Debian
charset setup?

I tried looking for info on charsets, but I couldn't find any good
sources. Any pointers anyone?

Thanks!

Jen