Re: where is the us-ascii charset and how do I get mutt to use it?

I don't use mutt, so I can't really help you on that count. However, I
can tell you with relative certainty that you do have the us-ascii
character set available on your system, since your message is written
in it. From your headers:

My theory is that what you're seeing is actually some of the infamous
Asian-charset spam that's been bombarding Debian mailing lists of late
(the subjects show up as a bunch of little squares under gnus).

HTH