Re: Home network design recommendations/tips sought (long)

On Sun, 2002-06-30 at 21:06, Neal Lippman wrote:
> In terms of email: I use kde on my linux workstation, and the rest of my
> family uses outlook or outlook express on their windows boxen. I use an smtp
> server on my website (outside my lan) to accumulate email, and then d/l it
> into kmail via pop. Kmail, of course, stores its file on my nfs share, so
> they are (in theory) accessible no matter where I log in on the network. In
> practice, however, kde (and gnome, for that matter) don't seem to know
> anything about multiple simultaneous logins (essentially they don't handle
> multiple instances of kmail or any other K'apps properly) so one wants to be
> careful about that sort of situation.

>From what I know, kmail uses mbox type files to save email, and since
you can't lock only part of a file, this is why you can only log in from
one machine at a time (I think that is what you were talking about,
right?) I have found IMAP to be much more flexible. I am logged in to my
imap server from three different computers at the moment, my laptop,
desktop, and my work system over a vpn. I would highly reccomend IMAP
instead of POP as a solution because of its greater flexibility. just my
2 cents

-Mark