Re: Home network design recommendations/tips sought (long)

Neal Lippman wrote:

> I use nfs for access from linux systems because that just seems to make more
> sense, even though I could, in theory, access them via smbfs and smb as well.
> I am not sure how the permissions would be handled in that situation, since
> smb shares don't exactly mimic, as far as I can tell, linux permissions.

No, they don't.  That you can work around.  One thing to be aware of is
that SMB is apparently clueless when it comes to soft links.  I tried to
copy my /home directories from an old machine to the new one using SMB.
It worked until it hit a file in my ~/.gnome-desktop directory that
links back to ~.  Can you say "infinite loop"? :-)

That was when I decided to use NFS between Linux machines, and only use
SMB when there's a Windows machine involved.

Just my experience.
Jason