Re: Home network design recommendations/tips sought (long)

On Sunday 30 June 2002 18:29, Mark Roach wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-06-30 at 21:06, Neal Lippman wrote:
> > In terms of email: I use kde on my linux workstation, and the rest of my
> > family uses outlook or outlook express on their windows boxen. I use an
> > smtp server on my website (outside my lan) to accumulate email, and then
> > d/l it into kmail via pop. Kmail, of course, stores its file on my nfs
> > share, so they are (in theory) accessible no matter where I log in on the
> > network. In practice, however, kde (and gnome, for that matter) don't
> > seem to know anything about multiple simultaneous logins (essentially
> > they don't handle multiple instances of kmail or any other K'apps
> > properly) so one wants to be careful about that sort of situation.
>
> From what I know, kmail uses mbox type files to save email, and since
> you can't lock only part of a file, this is why you can only log in from
> one machine at a time (I think that is what you were talking about,
> right?) I have found IMAP to be much more flexible. I am logged in to my
> imap server from three different computers at the moment, my laptop,
> desktop, and my work system over a vpn. I would highly reccomend IMAP
> instead of POP as a solution because of its greater flexibility. just my
> 2 cents

	Interesting idea. Are you using kmail as your email client, configured to
access an IMAP server, or are you using some other email client?

	Since I don't really want to leave messages on my outside email host for
very long (my disk space is probably limited, and in any case that's not
really the place to accumulate stuff), I suppose what I really want to do is
periodically d/l all my mail from there (via pop or whatever) to my LAN's
fileserver, and have that function as an IMAP server to allow access to my
email store.

	Is it the case that messages on an IMAP server remain there until deleted,
in contrast to the pop method where they are retrieved directly to the
client? If so, then an IMAP server really functinos much like Microsoft's
exchange server - as a message store. What's a decent IMAP server for linux?

nl