Re: Home network design recommendations/tips sought (long)

I have a similar setup, with a older Mandrake system that I have turned into
a fileserver, and my new debian system that I use as a workstation.

The server has a minimal amount of diskspace allocated for /, /boot, /usr,
/var, /tmp, and a large /home partition.

The /home partition is shared via samba, for accessing by windows systems.

The /home partition is also exported by nfs for access from linux systems.

I use nfs for access from linux systems because that just seems to make more
sense, even though I could, in theory, access them via smbfs and smb as well.
I am not sure how the permissions would be handled in that situation, since
smb shares don't exactly mimic, as far as I can tell, linux permissions.

My printer is a network printer, so I don't have to set it up via the server,
but if it were directly connected to the server, then windows systems could
access it via samba while linux systems could access it via lpd, cupsd, etc.

In terms of email: I use kde on my linux workstation, and the rest of my
family uses outlook or outlook express on their windows boxen. I use an smtp
server on my website (outside my lan) to accumulate email, and then d/l it
into kmail via pop. Kmail, of course, stores its file on my nfs share, so
they are (in theory) accessible no matter where I log in on the network. In
practice, however, kde (and gnome, for that matter) don't seem to know
anything about multiple simultaneous logins (essentially they don't handle
multiple instances of kmail or any other K'apps properly) so one wants to be
careful about that sort of situation.

If you are planning to have mail delivered directly to your lan for
subsequent distribution, you could run exim, sendmail, qmail, etc on the
server. Those agents would be configured to deliver email locally, and then
you would access them via pop (either from kmail, outlook, etc, or with
something like fetchmail) from within the lan, just as I access them remotely
with the same apps.

Good luck.

nl