Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

On 18 Jul 2002 16:27:11 -0000
grante@visi.com (Grant Edwards) wrote:

> > machines, is way slower than, let's say, an installation of a
> > current SuSE distro.
>
> I've never installed Suse.  Installing RH typically involves

That's probably a problem specific to Germany, same way I didn't
mess around with RedHat too much, by now. ;)

> answering a few questions, coming back twice to change CDs and
> answering a few more questions.  Installing Debian requires

Well, SuSE 8.0 actually is being advertised as "installable with
three simple clicks". Given that this is truth, on two out of three
testing machines it took me longer than a full woody install to fix
several things the SuSE installer just had badly broken. :(

>   * Tasksel UI is confusing.  I watched as my neighbor was

>   * The dselect UI is completely cryptic.  I've been using

Mostly have to agree on both of the things. Most of the time I use
neither of those two, just leave the installer to set up a base
system and then get what I need using apt-get or aptitude (which
IMHO just sorta rules). This is something that in my eyes really
improved incredibly much with the latest Debian versions and even
from potato to woody.

>   * Package configuration asks pointless questions.  For
>     example, my neighbor spent a fair amount on the Debian site
>     trying to find out what lynx was and what should be used as

Hmmm, okay. This is something that probably should be done in a way
it is done with latest mozilla packages (having a html document
stored somewhere which is opened as default url).

>   * Setup/configure for a package fails and installer has to be
>     restarted. I counted NINE times through this cycle before

Ohh, sorry to hear that. Actually, it also happened here sometimes
that some packages (for whichever reason) refused to configure /
install, but it never happened _that_ often, here. Seems this also
is a lot more stable in woody than in potato?

>   * LILO was supposedly installed in the MBR of /dev/hda, but
>     the system won't boot from the hard drive.  This happens on

Hmmm, I'm likely to move on to grub (from debian) pretty soon after
install to get my GNU/hurd booting, and at least for me the grub
packages in woody / sid always worked pretty well.

>   * We had to purge GPM in order to get the PS/2 mouse to work
>     properly under X11.

Same here. That's where I in most cases either leave gpm config
broken or don't initially install it anymore, it's just causing
trouble and I don't really need it.
    Novell

> Debian is by far the most difficult.  The sad thing is it
> really doesn't need to be this difficult -- I'm convinced

Well, being with Slackware for several years, I've had far more
troubles with their installer than with the debian installer. Even
worse, I feel doomed whenever I have to get a SuSE install working
with this setup GUI that rarely leads to a working installation.
Perhaps I'm just lucky, but by now Debian seems to me to have the
most reliable installer system of the mentioned packages.

Cheers,
Kris

--
Savour what you feel and   ][  Kristian Rink
what you see - things that ][  irc:: irc.sorcery.net (kristian)