Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

> On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 06:24, grante@visi.com wrote:

> > 2.4 system installed and running.  Installing Redhat on the
> > same system takes about 15 minutes.
>
> As I found the install to be unnecessary lengthy, I've 'installed' the
> last few Debian boxes by just cloning the disk and changing the few
> things that needed changing. As the dpkg means purged pkgs leave almost
> no cruft behind, I've never run into problems with that.

Well, actually I currently once again installed woody on two machines
(Pentium 166 with 48 meg RAM, PII-350 with 196 meg RAM), and, overally, I just
can't say that the installation, on those machines, is way slower than, let's
say, an installation of a current SuSE distro. For what I found, the most
annoying thing about installing GNU/Linux distros, lately (no matter whether this
is Debian or SuSE) on standalone machines is frequently having to change the
cds to have all the packages copied. Doing an installation through a fast
network or from DVD, Debian at least here is by no means slower than the other
systems I've installed, so far...

Cheers,
Kris

http://www.gmx.net