Re: Exim only delivering to /var/mail/apache

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 07:57:23PM +0800, Sam Williams wrote:

| I've got a strange problem on a machine runing debian unstable - mail is
| only being delivered to one user (apache). Mail to any other user,
| including root disappears.. Exim is configured only to deliver mail for
| the local machine and root is aliased to samw.
|
| Has anyone any idea why only one account is receiving mail?

Post some log snippets.  Check all three of /var/log/exim/mainlog,
/var/log/exim/rejectlog, /var/log/exim/paniclog.

They'll have the answer for why the mail wasn't delivered.  Also run
'mailq' (as root) and you'll find the "missing" messages.  (messages
don't just disappear, they go somewhere.  Always.)

| WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.

Really?  I didn't know that.

| The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
| presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any
| damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. E-mail
| transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
| information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
| late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does
| not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of
| this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Lotta noise here.

| This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
| intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
| addressed.

Uh-huh.

| If you have received this email in error

Did I?  My name isn't one of the addressees.

| please notify the sender immediately.

Ok, I'll take action immediately.

| This message contains confidential information

Yeah, sure.

| and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the
| named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or

Was the list archiver a named addressee?  How about google? (when they
cache the archives)

| take any action in reliance on the contents of this email.

Umm, hmm.  This notice is part of "the contents of this email", and it
tells me to take the action of notifying you that I wasn't supposed to
receive it.

Please read this
    http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

-D

--
Microsoft: "Windows NT 4.0 now has the same user-interface as Windows 95"
    Windows 95: "Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot"

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/