Re: User's perspective on upgrading to kernel 2.4?

* Richard Cobbe (cobbe@airmail.net) [020411 22:21]:

> Second question: is it possible to have a 2.2 kernel and a 2.4 kernel
> installed on the same system and switch between the two by means of
> LILO? It's a little unclear, but I get the impression that the /dev
> hierarchy, in particular, is very different between the two, which
> suggests that switching back and forth is not very easy.

You can switch back and forth easily with LILO, as you think. I did it
for a few months after I upgraded to 2.4.x. The /dev setup isn't an
issue *unless* you decide to use the 'devfs' file system. You certainly
don't need to use it.

A few other things to be aware of:

-- Don't take your current .config for your 2.2 kernel and do a 'make
oldconfig'.
-- When you do your 'make config', be sure to enable ext2 support,
assuming this is what you use. It's *not* enabled or turned on by
default anymore. Also, the default processor type is now a Pentium
II/III. If you have an AMD cpu for instance, your system won't boot.
Well, it will boot and then hang...

I haven't used the Debian 2.4 kernels so these few issues might not be
applicable. They may have i386 as the default kernel, ext2 support
enabled, etc, etc.

Regards
Hall