Re: kernel version

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 03:34:49PM -0700, Vaughan, Curtis wrote:
> I just realized something.
>
> After doing the apt-get upgrade my computer now has kernel 2.2 as the
> default, whereas it used to be 2.4.
> Why in the hell has it done this?
>
> Is the easiest method fix this simply to edit my lilo.conf so that they
> point to the appropriate images?
>
> Curtis

If apt-get upgrade installed a later revision of a 2.2 kernel on your
computer, it would run lilo as part of the upgrade and reset the
symlink /vmlinuz to point to just installed kernel. If your 2.4 kernel
had priviously been /vmlinuz, it would now be linked to /vmlinuz.old.
/etc/lilo probably has lines in it like:

image=/vmlinuz
        label=linux

and

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=linuxOLD

You could put a default global option in /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo to
prevent this from happening again.

--
Jerome