Newbie Install Problems

Hi,

I am brand new to Debian Linux. I just installed Debian Linux from the CD that came with Debian GNU/Linux Bible. So far I have noticed two big problems:

1. I also installed Window Maker, and it loads up upon startup. I don't like that; I want to load it from the command line only if and when I want it. How do I uninstall it? I have tried and tried but to no avail. If I run dselect from a shell, it won't allow me to uninstall anything.

2. Networking is not working so I can't log onto the internet (I have a cable connection). How do I figure out what is wrong.

All help will be deeply appreciated.

Louis