Re: exim question

Thus spake Karsten M. Self:
> on Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 08:59:12PM -0500, Stephen Gran (gashuffer09@home.com) wrote:
> > Hello all -
> > A strange thing, presumably of my own doing, just appeared.  I was
> > looking through apt-cache show, and I happened upon exim-tls, which is
> > exim with ssl support.  I decided that would be a great idea, so I
> > backed up my exim.conf, went ahead and installed it, restored my old
> > conf, and all seemed fine - a few test messages to different local
> > accounts and to a few email addresses all worked.  Great! success - but
> > I spoke too soon, I fear, because now all my headers end with a ^M -
> > never seen this before, and I'm not sure what to do about it.  It
> > doesn't show up in all MTA's either - balsa doesn't show it, but mutt
> > does.  I'm fairly sure it's an exim issue, though, because that's the
> > only thing that's changed.
> > Any ideas?  TIA,
>
> Do you use fetchmail?  Known issue, there's a config file switch.
>
> Check both exim and fetchmail for CR/LF conversion directives.

Karsten -
Thanks - that was exactly it.  Fetchmail apparently strips CR only when
delivering to a named MDA - running it out of inetd apparently has it
leave the CR in.  Buried deep in the fetchmail manpage - line 1540 or
so.  Thanks again, I just assumed it was exim, because that was what had
changed.  Didn't even occur to me that it was the relationship between
exim and fetchmail.
Steve

--
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies.
		-- The Book of Bokonon / Kurt Vonnegut Jr.