Re: Is it possible to install a few testing packages on a stable machine?

on Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 03:15:44PM -0500, Stan Brown (stanb@awod.com) wrote:
> I'm trying to get abcde to work. Turns out that the version I have (from
> progen) is broken. The developers of this package say the version in testing
> is fine. Probelm is it depends on one more package from testing.

File a bug report against stable.

> Is there a way I can get this to work?

Yes.

> If so, how?

I strongly discourage split stable/unstable or stable/testing systems.
Debian exists largely to resolve package deps.  Suggested alternatives:

  - Upgrade your system(s) to testing or unstable.  For most purposes,
    this works well.

  - Get your package source from the direct upstream source.  This
    allows Debian to do what it does well:  manage the vast majority of
    your system with minimal intervention on your part.

There are various pinning options.  They're relatively new, and I'd
recommend other alternatives in th meantime.

Peace.