Re: intrusion detection / logfile reporter

Thus spake Timo <Blazko> Boewing:

> Hello all,
>
> I have some questions regarding system security. Besides of doing
> filtering with IP tables, disabling inet.d services like telnet, r-tools
> etc. and setting some general denials in /etc/hosts.deny (plus some
> other stuff like changing default ports of some demons like sshd), I am
> looking for some additional security options I can apply to a linux system.
>
> Especially, I am looking for a not-too-paranoid-to-setup-tool that can
> review my logfiles and report me via beep and/or local mail that it
> found something unusual in a log. Does anyone know of such a tool?
Timo -
Logcheck does that quite well, although it's default is to send a ton of
stuff.  It can be edited down to be more reasonable - I'm still going
through the manpages and whatnot to figure out what's worth it. I don't
know about your other questions.
HTH
Steve

--
It is through symbols that man consciously or unconsciously lives, works
and has his being.