exim question

Hello all -
A strange thing, presumably of my own doing, just appeared.  I was
looking through apt-cache show, and I happened upon exim-tls, which is
exim with ssl support.  I decided that would be a great idea, so I
backed up my exim.conf, went ahead and installed it, restored my old
conf, and all seemed fine - a few test messages to different local
accounts and to a few email addresses all worked.  Great! success - but
I spoke too soon, I fear, because now all my headers end with a ^M -
never seen this before, and I'm not sure what to do about it.  It
doesn't show up in all MTA's either - balsa doesn't show it, but mutt
does.  I'm fairly sure it's an exim issue, though, because that's the
only thing that's changed.
Any ideas?  TIA,
Steve
--
Some men love truth so much that they seem to be in continual fear
lest she should catch a cold on overexposure.