Re: Is it possible to install a few testing packages on a stable machine?

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 03:15:44PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
| I'm trying to get abcde to work. Turns out that the version I have (from
| progen) is broken. The developers of this package say the version in testing
| is fine. Probelm is it depends on one more package from testing.
|
| Is there a way I can get this to work?

Yes.

| If so, how?

One of the following :

1)  Point a browser at packages.debian.org and download the desired
    packages (and all deps) and run 'dpkg -i'.

2)  edit sources.list to point to woody,
    'apt-get update && apt-get install <pkg>'
    put sources.list back
    'apt-get update'

3)  get the new apt from woody (using (1) or (2)), then set
    apt-preferences and simply 'apt-get install <pkg>/<release>'
    (ie 'apt-get install abcde/testing')

HTH,
-D