Re: Which installer? Aptitude, dselect deity...

Phillip Deackes wrote:

> I strongly recommend the Storm Package Manager (stormpkg) currently in
> testing and unstable. No other GUI interface to apt-get comes close.
> Stormpkg makes it easy whether you want to do a full upgrade or install
> just one package, or look at what you have on your system already, or see
> what is available. The file /etc/apt/sources.list can also be managed from
> within stormpkg.

Since you recommended it, I installed and took a look at stormpkg. My
first impression is that it doesn't give me as much information as
dselect, and makes it harder to get at. For one thing, I have several
Python packages marked "hold" currently because of the ongoing
transition in Sid, but stormpkg doesn't show me that they're on hold.
Also, like aptitude, stormpkg doesn't seem to call my attention to
things that need upgrading the way dselect does; there's no single place
where all the packages that can be updated are listed. Nor does stormpkg
give me any indication of packages that are installed on my system, but
which are no longer in the package repository.

Am I just missing something here? If I can get these things from
stormpkg, then fine, but if not, then I don't think much of it.

Craig