Re: Which installer? Aptitude, dselect deity...

ol1  <op> writes:
ol1> Also sprach Preben Randhol:
 PR> Which installer should I recommend to a beginner of Debian (and Linux?).
 PR>
 PR> I remember I saw somewhere on the web an article that covered a lot of
 PR> debian installers, but I cannot seem to find it.
ol1>
ol1> apt-get
ol1> all the gui stuff is just confusing.

But how do you know what to type as parameters to apt-get if you're
just starting?  'apt-get install' also misses a lot of things like
Recommends: and package descriptions.

Is the recommendation to someone using stable, or testing/unstable?
In unstable/testing, I like aptitude quite a bit (though you should
read /usr/share/doc/aptitude/README first, since there are a lot of
things that aren't in the online documentation).  The version of
aptitude in stable isn't particularly featureful, so for stable, I'd
recommend learning to use dselect (it isn't actually as bad as people
make it out to be).

	-- Abra Mitchell