Re: gnome sound

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 11:44:26PM +0200, Frank Preut wrote:
| On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 01:30:44PM -0400, dman wrote:
| > It's probably more of an issue with the kernel driver.  When esd
| > starts and tries to use the hardware while the hardware is in use, the
| > driver doesn't handle that well and ends up killing the kernel
| > (because it is the kernel).
|
| but shouldn't esd be able to notice that there's something wrong here
| and exit gracefully?

In an ideal world, everything would Just Work.

| i'm far from a programmer but i noticed this when playing around
| again: i just started mpg321 within gnome (in a term) and it exited
| with an error message 'Error opening libao oss driver. (Is device in
| use?)' so this should be possible.

I don't know if ESD uses the OSS drivers like mpg321 does, or if it
simply writes raw data to /dev/dsp or what it does.  Maybe the problem
comes as a result of differences in accessing the hardware and not
detecting the other.

| but then again, why is the device (perhaps) in use here when nothing
| is running? someone indicated to use mpg321 with the -o esd which
| actually works, but maybe that's why xmms and realplayer (for inet
| radio) die in gnome?

Normally esd is started when you start up gnome.  There is a way to
disable it, I think, because I don't get error messages on my
workstation (has no sound card).  esd will keep the sound card "in
use" and the theory is that all applications will request sound to be
played through esd, not go straight to the hardware.  esd then
multiplexes the waves so that you get all of them simultaneously.

| /me starts to concur with previous poster: esd sucks.. but i don't know
| how to *not* use it, if you know what i mean.. lots of reading before
| me, i guess..

I know why you are thinking that way, but I don't know why the
(plus many updates) with my old machine and it is working well now on
this laptop.

BTW, I don't know much about ALSA, but it is not possible to have alsa
_and_ other stuff at the same time (I tried so I could dabble with it
and see what it is about).

A nice feature of esd, though I haven't really tried it yet, is the
ability to play sound remotely.  This would be cool to have the laptop
on the LAN with real speakers plugged in but playing the mp3s from my
workstation.

Hope you can solve the problem,
-D