Re: gnome sound

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 01:30:44PM -0400, dman wrote:
> It's probably more of an issue with the kernel driver.  When esd
> starts and tries to use the hardware while the hardware is in use, the
> driver doesn't handle that well and ends up killing the kernel
> (because it is the kernel).

but shouldn't esd be able to notice that there's something wrong here
and exit gracefully? i'm far from a programmer but i noticed this when
playing around again: i just started mpg321 within gnome (in a term) and
it exited with an error message 'Error opening libao oss driver. (Is
device in use?)' so this should be possible. but then again, why is the
device (perhaps) in use here when nothing is running? someone indicated
to use mpg321 with the -o esd which actually works, but maybe that's why
xmms and realplayer (for inet radio) die in gnome?

/me starts to concur with previous poster: esd sucks.. but i don't know
how to *not* use it, if you know what i mean.. lots of reading before
me, i guess..

thanks to everyone again,
	frank.