gnome sound

okay, i've had it.. gnome just completely froze my system.. i had to
unplug it! just because i had mpg321 running in the background.. i have
no idea why that is, it works beautifully in kde but idon't like kde as
much as i do gnome but this sound issue is really bugging me.. what is
it in gnome that takes over everything related to sound? sound in gnome
is provided by esd, right? how can tell it fsck'ing leave leave mpg321
alone and share with it peacefully? i'm willing to rtfm, but i don't
really know where to start, any ponters greatly appreciated..

thanks,
	frank.