Problem with hda1 ('/) at boottime, what now?

Hi,

I am having a bit of trouble with one of my systems. At boot it says:

---------------
/dev/hda1 was not cleanly umnounted, check forced.
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } / 21.9%
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=81949, sector=81948
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:01 (hda), sector 81948
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=81949, sector=81948
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:01 (hda), sector 81948
Error reading block 40974 (Attempt to read block from filesystem  resulted in
short read) while doing inode scan.

/dev/hda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
	(i.e., without -a or -p options)

fsck failed.  Please repair manually and reboot.  Please note
that the root file system is currently mounted read-only.  To
remount it read-write:

   # mount -n -o remount,rw /

CONTROL-D will exit from this shell and REBOOT the system.

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):
--------------------

So I log in as root (glad I didn't disable that yet) and do:

--------------------
(none):~# mount -n -o remount, rw /
EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
(none):~# e2fsck /dev/hda1
e2fsck 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
/dev/hda1 is mounted.

WARNING!!!  Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
SEVERE filesystem damage.

Do you really want to continue (y/n)? no

check aborted.
(none):~#

--------------------

After previous boots when I tried to remount the root as rw I got an
error message that /etc/mtab couldn't be written. That I do not get now.
So now I can mount all the filesystems by hand and start from that. But
that's not as it should be.

I am left with a couple of questions. How _can_ I check / ? And what's the
problem with the block? Besides I am wondering what caused this, since
the last umount of / must have been earlier this day when I did a
"shutdown -h now" to move the box.

Could anyone give me some advice on how to
solve this problem? I'd appreciate it very much.

In the meanwhile I'll have to work with the mountpoints mounted by
hand...

Sincerely,

HdV

--
Support bacteria -
they're the only culture some people have.

J.A. de Vries aka HdV
Delft University of Technology
Computing Centre

Email: J.A.deVries@DTO.TUDelft.NL