Re: OpenGL causes hard system lockups

> (...)
> Some of these 3D screensavers will unexpectedly lock up my system---and I > mean *completely* lock up my system, can't ctrl-alt-f[1-6] to switch to a > text console, I can't kill X with ctrl-alt-backspace, etc. Nothing works.

Same here. Glad you mentioned it, 'cause I thought it had to do with my card having been a bit on the cheap side (an ATI Rage 128 family member). I've managed to gain a lot more stability by disabling 3 screensavers specifically (through xscreensaver-demo): "StarWars", "Gears" and "Gears (planetary)". Now I can manage to go almost one week without rebooting.

Wine also gives me some grief, I could never run "winmine.exe" without a crash just like these we're discussing, but I'm not sure the reason is the same.

These accelerated drivers are alpha-quality at best. They are, unfortunately, at the base of current Linux GUI desktop systems, one more reason why Linux is still very clearly and solidly years behind Windows on the desktop, for most users.

I won't be converting my dual-boot machine to an all-Linux one any time soon...

Carlos