Re: Which editor for programming?

On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 06:37:33PM +1100, Damon Muller wrote:

> Umm... Basically I just made a point to learn enough about both of them.

    Yeah, me too.

> Vim is very cool, and fast, and has great syntax highlighting, and is
> perfect for just about everything. But when it came to my thesis using
> LaTeX, I figured I needed something with a bit more balls - something
> that was written for hard-core document production. So I bit the bullet
> and decided to learn EMACS. The main thing I did was to sit down and
> work through the tutorial, which was very helpful.

    I'd still like to explore the LaTeX mode for Emacs, but I've written so
many abbreviations for LaTeX now, I'm not sure I need them anymore.

> I think the idea of using emacs to emulate vi is a little disturbing,
> frankly! It's a bit like sitting on top of a tank and pretending it's a
> mountain bike.

    *laugh* More like pretending it's a hotrod. ;-)

    I find the keybindings in (X)Emacs way too arthritic for me. I can go much
faster in Vi, and then with the features in Vim... Well, it's all I need. The
final straw for me was the broken Perl modes. I do too much Perl coding to put
up with that.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX