Re: Which editor for programming?

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 10:01:06AM +0100, Stefano Calza wrote:

> Well, I've entered the thread right now, but I wonder why nobody talked
> about emacs. I think it's simply great for everything. If you have to
> learn "one" editor, emacs is the right choice (sounds like a commercial,
> doesn't it ;-)

    I tried Emacs for about 6 months, pouring through O'Reilly's book and
learning it well. I hated the arthritic keybindings, but I managed because I
liked a lot of the features. I tolerated the pigginess of it because I thought
such poor performance was necessary. Then the broken Perl modes moved my code
incorrectly yet again, and I killed the thing and went back to vanilla Vi,
where it did what I told it to do. Then I found Vim.

Eight
Megs
And
Constantly
Swapping

    ;-)

    I hate the split between Emacs and XEmacs, 'cause the configuration files
aren't compatible. At least it's easy to find on Unix systems though, unless
it's a bare install. And I'll admit, I miss ang-ftp. That's a cool feature.

    Anyway, if you work on a variety of systems, I would listen to this
gentleman or me, and go with (X)Emacs or Vim, 'cause you'll find them
available for everwhere you go, and they're both very powerful.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX